Thursday, December 9, 2010

All Good Things Must Pass





Sorry about that last post. I accidentally posted an unfinished entry, and rather than keep it in its unfinished state I decided the best thing to do was to turn it into some always helpful spam. But yeah we have a new layout and it looks fantastic. Hopefully this new spiffy layout can help us continue to entertain, and inform you... that's a presumption isn't it?

Well anyway today I wanted to keep you updated on my life. Playstation Plus is working out well (and will pay for itself in about a week), this college semester is almost over, and I am happily awaiting Christmas morning, when I will drown in gift wrap and discarded reindeer carcasses. But other than that things have been pretty status quo.

That is until Sunday when I watched the new Simpsons episode entitled "The Fight Before Christmas". I had heard that it was going to be a Christmas episode in the vein of the Treehouse of Horror series. "WOW" I thought, quickly discarding my memories of this years awful Treehouse of Horror. "THIS SHOULD BE FUN" and so I waited. However had I known what lay ahead of me, I would have immediately popped in my Simpsons DVDs and cried in a fetal position on the floor. How could such a popular franchise fall so low? As the title of this blog states "ALL GOOD THINGS MUST PASS"


Listen I have to preface this story with the fact that I am a huge Simpsons fan. I grew up watching the Simpsons, as I'm sure many of you have as well. In fact as I am writing this I am wearing a Simpsons t-shirt, and staring at my many faces of Homer poster. (No really I am) A world without the Simpsons on TV, would be like a world without Oprah, or Michael Jackson. Well Michael Jackson has passed, Oprah is on her last season, and the simpsons....well they just got renewed for a 23RD SEASON FUCK YEAH!!!...well no, sadly I am not enthusiastic at all, but I'm not mad either, I just have become saddened by this idea that the simpsons will never go off air. Its like watching Prometheus have his organs ripped out by a vicious bird everyday, only to grow them back by night. (Awesome reference right?)

The fact is we are the ones who are purporting this crime by continually supporting this dying product. Lets look at a more recent example of downfall.

EXAMPLE 1 : FAMILY GUY

Oh Family Guy, how I loved you. You have managed to rise and fall (in quality) in about half the time that it took the Simpsons to do the same. When you first came on the scene you were witty, funny, and groundbreaking, sure your writing was random, and your plots were paper thin, but we loved you despite all that . They allowed you to make jokes on TV that made the Simpsons look childish in comparison. You were one of the funniest television shows on...and so you were canceled. Yet people bought your dvds, hell even I bought your dvds Family Guy. So they brought you back. If only we knew...we could have stopped this.

So Family Guy returned, and all was well for a few seasons. And then suddenly something happened. It was almost as if you were no longer giving us your all. It was as if something was holding you back, taking up your time. hrmmmm. The jokes got annoying and old, and as I continued to buy the dvds I found myself feeling sick to my stomach. Something was not right... I was no longer laughing.


So what did you do to fix this? Oh hell whatever, the masses are now into your product more than ever. The meme loving, Bieber hating, backwards baseball cap audience that you pander to, was still eating up your terrible humor. "Hrm I have an idea", said Seth Macfarlane.

















Maybe thats why we are stuck with jokes like this...



But where Family Guy may have depleted their resources, The Simpsons just began to age, hanging on by nostalgia, and a loyal audience who didn't care that the writing had become stale, they just didn't want to see their old friend die. But they have died my friends. We should consider the Simpson dead, and be happy for it. By not watching the Simpson, we can hopefully get the show canceled, and maybe just maybe save its reputation.

I was a late bloomer to this issue. I was one of the crowd of devoted fans who just wanted the Simpsons to make it. "It will get funny again" I told myself. However I realized it was dead when they put out "That 90's Show", an episode in the 19th season, which took all the beloved memories of Marge and Homer meeting, raising the kids, and THE B-SHARPS FOR GODSAKES, and said "Nah that never happened, instead Homer was in a grunge band" FUCK YOU!

So here we are. The 22nd season, and what do they give us for a Christmas special? OH THATS RIGHT PUPPETS AND KATY PERRY. While I'll admit, the story where Marge is fighting in WW2 and they recreate the ending to Inglorious Basterds, was interesting (not funny), but the rest of the episode has absolutely no merit as a comedic entity.



Listen guys, I love the simpsons. If the fact that I actually own, and enjoy Simpsons Wrestling says anything, its that I love me some Matt Groening, but it needs to die. For its own sake. I want the Simpson to be remembered for Mr. Plow, or Bart the Daredevil, not some talentless, bargain bin Zoey Deschanel look alike. Phew, Well at least I feel better now.

Sorry if I bummed you out, but I love to hear your responses in the comment section below. Just keep it polite guys, I know the Simpsons is a touchy subject. Well be safe, and get some sleep.



5 comments:

  1. That was an amazing reference. I've always thought that the minute the Simpsons started having guest celebrities was the minute it all started going downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the Simpsons are shit but Futurama is back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys, and yeah Futurama is still quality stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaa! Ommggg Seamus, I love this post almost as much as i love your personality! Your soo funny, the things you say open my eyes into a different view, Your awesomee normalguy! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed with those references. Especially the one about Zoey Deschanel. So true!

    RIP Simpsons

    ReplyDelete