Thursday, October 28, 2010

AHHHH REAL ZOMBIES!!!


Ok so here I am once again folks, appeasing the my blogging god with a post that can only be measured in lamb's blood. So whats new world? Much? Thats good. As for me I've been playing the new Red Dead Redemption dlc "Undead Nightmare". Let me first off say that if you are a fan of zombie fiction, or Red Dead Redemption, then you pretty much owe it to yourself to pick this bad boy up. Its only 10 bucks but there's so much content, my head could explode over it. But anywho, not to sound like an advertisement, but it really got me thinking about things. Zombie-ish things.

Guys I hate to break it to you, but zombies are really getting out of control. And no, I did not originally mean for that to be a pun on the nature of zombies. What I mean is that they are over saturating media. A few years ago a new zombie movie, or zombie game was met with glee because it was a rarity and it was such a cool idea. However the problem today is that ITS FREAKING EVERYWHERE!. Now what used to be a cool idea and something that I enjoyed, is being continuously raped. (Not unlike the current vampire situation) Thats not to say that the content is bad. I mean there havent been many bad zombie experiences, its just getting old. REALLY REALLY OLD. Even when playing the Red Dead dlc, I found myself feeling a tad bit exhausted, not with the gameplay, but with the idea. We need a break from zombies. Why not bring back some other form of monster, or god forbid someone creates something new. The fact is we love to see the world end, and that is why we love zombies, but maybe just maybe there can be a new threat. Say what you will about the Happening, but the concept was at least new and entertaining.


All this being said, I started thinking once again about the zombie apocalypse. I think I've finally come to grips with the reality that, if that ever goes down, I'm dead. I'd give myself about a 10 percent shot of survival and thats being generous. Think about it. No one would survive in the end, there is no coming back from that. However even in the short term, the survivors would be few and far between. Plus running sucks so I'd probably just have to kill myself.

Well just some food for thought there kiddles, Ill see you around.

2 comments:

  1. I think we're starting to see patterns like these though in video games, and it's pretty run of the mill. A few years ago there was the WWII craze when every shooter coming out was WWII-themed (CoD, MoH, BiA, RtCW, Battlefield 1942, DoD, etc etc etc), but how many do you see really topping the sales charts now (funny how well the nazi-zombie game mode works as a melange of these two fads). So even though zombie games are uncomfortably popular right now, it's not like we should expect it to last forever. Maybe if enough people like you become exhausted with the concept it'll wear off and leave the zombie apocalypse game to the people who really care about it--like me. :]

    ReplyDelete