Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Life Update: Please Buy Shadows of the Damned!

Hey everyone! How is everybody doing out there in the big ole scary world? It's been awhile since I've been able to just sit down and collect my thoughts. So lets have a chat shall we?

Horrifying.

Now before I get into things here, I just wanted to make a plea to those of you who do play video games. BUY SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED! ...and for those of you who don't care for my video game nonsense...you can just skip ahead I guess.


While the game play is a bit derivative of other games like Resident Evil 4, and Dead Space, that is not a bad thing. The story is hilarious, yet dark. The characters, while annoying at first glance, become engaging and surprisingly relatable. Ok so this is the basic idea behind Shadows of the Damned. YOU ARE A DEMON HUNTER, YOUR GIRLFRIEND GETS CAPTURED BY DEMONS, GO KILL DEMONS! Now while they may seem like standard video game fare, the world that Suda51 has crafted is brilliant in it's ability to be both eerie, and comical.

Sure the jokes can be a little childish, and immature, but Shadows of the Damned seems to realize this, and almost seems to break the fourth wall with its subtle winks and smiles.  SO GO GET IT. For all of the people out there who complain about rehashes, and first-person war shooters, this is a perfect opportunity for you to get out there and support a new game, with fresh ideas.

PHEW OK. So that's out of the way. Let's get on to the real life stuff.

Ok, so maybe Superman isn't real life, but I did recently read Superman: Earth One, which is essentially a re-envision of Superman's origin story.

See I like me some Superman, and while I much prefer Batman, Superman is probably my second favorite Super Hero of all time. Now why is that? Most of the time when I hear people talking about Superman, they talk about how he is a flawed character because he has essentially no weakness. Now that is definitely hard to argue, but honestly I never really saw that as a problem. Superman has always been the quintessential hero, because he is for all intensive purposes, perfect. He has an amazing moral compass, he never seems to back down, and he almost never looses. If you ask me, that is the kind of Superhero that we need now more than ever. Amongst all the gray area, and sadness in the world, its nice to have at least one morally unambiguous character, who doesn't spend all of his time moping about his own personal problems.



(Prepare for contradiction) However, all of that aside, the thing I like about Superman comics, is that since he is essentially over powered and magnificent, his problems come from internal struggles as to how to deal with the power. Should he let humans develop on their own, solving problems and struggles for themselves, or should he step in and become a global babysitter every time humans are in trouble. The crisis is never "Will Superman Survive?", of course he will, the conflict is how he should go about surviving, and I find that Earth One does a great job of addressing this problem. (Also read Red Son, where Superman lands in Russia instead of America, and becomes a dictator. Interesting stuff)



You know, initially when writing this entry, I was going to lead off with the picture seen above. I was going to go on a tirade about how we as a society should stop talking about this, and perhaps say some controversial things like "Would America care at all if this woman was black?"

However I've had some time to think about it, and it seems as though the media coverage is finally starting to die down. I get it ok? It's an interesting case, that has for whatever reason, hit a chord with people. Although I think there are more important fish to fry, I understand that we as human beings enjoy a good dramatic story.

I have long since been upset about the media coverage, and outrage that poured over this case, and have moved on to something else that makes me good and angry.


Why are people wasting their time with this terrible series of CGI headaches, military worship, and Shia Labeouf? These movies are absolute garbage. I'm sorry I can't be more eloquent with my bashing of this series but that's all I really have to say. Yes Megan Fox is gone, but what did they do? They replaced her with a model. At least Fox was technically an actress, but now Michael Bay has made it clear that people don't see these movies for the acting, they see them for the big explosions, over the top ass shots, and loud distracting noises. There is so much constant stimulation going on in every shot of these films, that people walk out of the theater convincing themselves they loved it because they can't seem to really remember what happened. People say "C'mon bro, check your mind at the door! Not everything has to be a great movie" But that my friends is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. While checking your mind at the door, remember that you are also checking your wallet. By seeing these films you are telling the film industry that you want your entertainment to be as mindless, and dumbed down as possible. There are no excuses for the Transformers franchise to be this bad. Any concept can be made into a great film, no matter how cartoony and ridiculous the original idea is. Don't believe me?

I'll just let you ponder on this then.

If you guys want to see a film that is sure to please all of the senses, and stimulate your mind, body and soul. Go see Winnie the Pooh. I'm not kidding, the hand drawn animation looks beautiful, and the film itself will undoubtedly bring me back my childhood. Just make sure you don't go alone, unless you want countless mothers glaring at you, and quickly snatching up their children. FINE LADY I DON'T WANT YOUR KIDS I JUST WANT TO SEE EEYORE! ahem... yes well it looks great.


Finally, I've really gotten into Pacman recently. Yes Pacman, the original Pacman. That game is still as amazing, and addictive as ever. I've managed to break 40,000, so if any of you think you can do better, let me know! God it's so good. I just hope I don't turn into...well....


With all that said and done, I just wanted to thank you all for your continued support of AOVW. We are trying to consistently entertain, and if you have any suggestions please let us know! Just be civil :D! Also if you like what you've read, why not tell a friend? There is an easy to use share tab at the top of the page. Any help is amazing help. As always stay safe, and be nice to one another!

P.S.  The only nostalgia I have for the transformers series.

No comments:

Post a Comment