Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jury Duty...Well That Was Fun!!

Hey guy's want to hear a joke?
Woman's Basketball...

Any who, you know what grinds my gears? When someones walking by you and they ask you "How are you doing?" and then just keep on walking. I mean, what's the point of asking? If you ask me how I'm doing I expect you to stand there and find out. How rude!!

Now lets talk about something that we all love...Jury Duty

There's something deeply disturbing about jury duty. And I'm not saying that just because I had to be at City Hall way earlier on a Monday morning than I'm used to functioning. I'll get up at 6am when I want or need to. But it's an absolute OUTRAGE to get a government letter that says I'm required to do my supposedly "civic duty," and if I don't, a warrant may be issued for my arrest.

I don't understand why this isn't a bigger political issue. Just about everybody hates jury duty.

Jury duty is like going to the doctor for no good reason. Getting there right on time and then waiting for 6 hours. Uncomfortable chairs. Having to fill out forms that ask personal questions. Outdated reading material. Other people being called while you sit… and sit… and sit. Yup, Jury duty is just like going to the doctor. Except you go to the doctor because you have a problem that needs to be fixed.
With jury duty, the problem is that you are there and you want to be somewhere else. Not withstanding the annoyingly cheery video that we were shown about the patriotic nature of jury duty, how our presence was assuring that the United States would stand, blah, blah, blah, the mood in the jury assembly room for those three hours was seriously sullen.

I'd already decided that whoever was on trial was guilty, because if I ended up being picked as a juror, that seemed to be the fastest way to get the trial over: get a quick guilty verdict. I guess a quick innocent verdict would work just the same, but I was so upset at the whole jury duty process, I wanted somebody to be punished.

This is why compulsory duty is so stupid. You've got irritated people, who don't want anything to do with a trial, being forced to render an important decision.

I'd rather have some wise retired volunteers deciding my case who want to be in the courtroom, rather than a bunch of people whose only thought is "I don't want to be here."

Permanent panels of judges manage to render verdicts competently. So why can't we have permanent juries made up of citizens selected for their intelligence, fairness, and willingness to listen to boring testimony for long hours?

Someday this will change, hopefully. For now I'm off the jury duty hook for 3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment