Friday, January 7, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR (plus a top ten list) Pretty neat.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!




Welcome to the beginning of the new decade. Only one more year to go until the inevitable apocalypse... so theres that. But anyway I hope you guys have had a great holiday, and a fantastic start to your new year, I know I have. In fact, let me give you a brief update. I finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and it was fantastic, I just watched the first episode of the new "season?" of Jersey Shore and it was also fantastic (Yes I like Jersey Shore, it is probably one of the funniest and most engaging shows I have seen in awhile, If you want I could do a separate post in which I defend my controversial opinion), and I finished Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, and it was pretty good.



Speaking of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, I have been asked to do a in depth review of the game. I'm not so sure I want to do that. (But by all means keep suggesting things, I love the fact that we are getting as much positive and vocal feedback here on aovw) But never fear I am working on a super secret review of another game, and I also will give my thoughts on Assassins Creed: Brotherhood in a paragraph.







THIS IS THAT PARAGRAPH! I have had my problems with Assassins Creed in the past. For the first game I let myself get wrapped up in the hype and believed that it would be the most revolutionary step in games since going left. However what we got instead was a game that was at best, just alright. I mean the quests were repetitive, the combat was boring, and the controls were not great.(They still aren't, accidentally jump off of any buildings and fall to your death recently? Yeah I thought so) Then came AC2 a game which improved drastically, but still wasn't that great. (In my opinion) Then came Brotherhood, a game which promised a multiplayer experience like you have never seen before, and who would've guessed.... it was actually brilliant! I can't really explain why I enjoyed Brotherhood over AC2. Maybe I'm finally off the hype train, maybe I've gotten used to the controls, or maybe it was just better. But anyway, to avoid going into crazy depth here, lets just say its great. Its the best Assassins Creed yet, and the multiplayer where you attempt to lay in the shadows and fool your pursuers into thinking you are an NPC shows a lot of promise. Oh and the guild is freakin badass!


Phew. I hope that fed your need for an Assassins Creed: Brotherhood review. My main reason for not wanting to go in depth, is that it's been said before by other reviewers, and I just wasn't personally interested in reviewing it. BUT REMEMBER SUPER SECRET REVIEW IS IN THE WORKS... actually if you have any idea of what I'm playing now then its probably not so super secret.


So anyway I was thinking today I would do a nice little top ten List for you guys. How about the top ten games of 2010?... nah thats been done before. How about the top ten games I've played in 2010? AWESOME. So this is a list of games that didn't need to be released in 2010 to be new to me. Enjoy! Also with the exception of number 1, the numbers mean nothing. These are all great games which everyone with the ability and interest should check out.


10. Game Dev Story (Ipod touch/ Iphone)

So I love video games, and anyone who loves video games has at one point in their lives imagined designing games. Even if you haven't given it serious thought, the idea of creating games is an appealing one. That's what makes Game Dev Story so great. It is essentially a game developing simulator where you can hire your own employees, advertise your product, and of course develop your game by picking a multitude of genres and types. (My personal favorite was a game I called Ogre Wedding, which was an Ogre dating simulator. Yeah I don't know why that one didn't sell too well) Also for those of you who don't want to simply cough up the few bucks to try it out, there is a demo. So if you decide to get it, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES! The fact that their are so many ways to go about becoming a successful company from creating a console, to simply taking side jobs from other companies, is super intriguing and has some really hilarious results.



9.NHL 10 (Ps3/360)

Well here we are, the first game on this list to not be released in 2010. For those of you not in the know, NHL 10 was released in 09 (as is the case with most yearly sports games). However what sets NHL apart from the other games is...well actually I don't know. I'm not a big enough NHL fan to tell you intricacies and nuances that separate this game from the other yearly editions. All I know is that the games are fun and I love to hit people. Also I don't know why, but I may have put more hours into this game than any other this year, the gameplay is just fun, and getting batshit crazy goals or checks, never really gets old.


8. Costume Quest (Ps3/ 360)



GOD I LOVE DOUBLE FINE! If I had to pick any video game company to work at, Double Fine would be my hands down choice. Not only are their games chock full of humor and ridiculous plots, but they are usually just as fun to play! (With the exception of the less than stellar Brutal Legend...cmon guys it could've been an awesome action game.) But even if you didn't enjoy Brutal Legend that's ok, because Double Fine consistently changes the type of games that they make. They made a 3d platformer with Psychonauts, an RTS with Brutal Legend, and a bite sized RPG with Costume Quest. In costume quest you play as children trick or treating on Halloween... yup thats why I love me some Double Fine. The problem arises when monsters invade the real world in order to steal all of the candy, and its up to you and your super cool costumes to save the day. The gameplay boils down the rpg formula to only the essential basics. You can attack, heal, and cast spells, that sort of stuff. The kicker with Costume Quest is that when you engage in battle, your normal costumes transform into super duper costumes! (For example the robot costume transforms you into a gigantic rocket shooting mechazord) Not to mention the charming and hilarious characters you will encounter, this game is definitely one of the most memorable video games of 2010. Just as a side note, the game is still 15 dollars, which is kind of a steep entrance fee especially considering the game is not that long. However I am confident that the price will drop, and when it does, I recommend you all go out and get it.




7. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

Oh god, I didn't realize how draining this list would be. There is so much to write about and so little time. Ha but seriously, what else can I say about Assassins Creed that I didnt already mention earlier? I'm going to take a break on this one and just leave a nice picture right here...





6.Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition (ps3/360/pc/mac)




I think I played this game this year right? Well even if I didn't I'm putting it on the list. I have a confession to make, I love Guybrush Threepwood. Monkey Island is an old point and click adventure game, back from the era of amazing Lucasarts point and click adventures. The hilarious thing about the Special Edition is that for a game that originally was such a stand out product at the time, may actually lead the way for the genres revival in the current era of video games. So basically Monkey Island is a brain scratching point and click, where you try to solve puzzles and help Guybrush Threepwood on his way to becoming a pirate. ARRGH YOU FIGHT LIKE A DAIRY FARMER! This game is hilarious, and had me in stitches the entire time... god I sound old... But yeah, this game is not for everyone, just as point and click adventures are not for everyone, but if your interested I would suggest downloading it. I think the last time I checked it was only 4.99, now thats a bargain guys.

5.Metroid Zero Mission (gba)

I have another confession guys, I was never a Nintendo kid. While I had a gameboy, I was still more of a Sega Genesis guy, and then later a Playstation kid. I owned a gamecube for a month once, but other than that, Nintendo consoles and I never really got along. This means I missed out on some quality stuff. I never got what was so great about Mario (till a few years ago), I don't like Zelda, and I never played a Metroid game. So I decided to take a dive and get Metroid Zero Mission for the game boy advance. My reasoning was that I wanted to see what the big deal was about, and the game was fairly cheap on ebay. BUT MAN AM I GLAD I DID. Metroid Zero Mission is a great actiony/platformery thing, in which you can explore the map at will, on your mission to finally get the space pirates. GRR THEY MAKE ME SO MAD. Actually no, not really, the story isn't really the main focus here, instead it's the gameplay. Everything has been perfected to a point where I could (and will) play this game over and over and over. Plus Zero Mission includes an extra mission where you play as Zero Suit Samus on a stealth mission, and the original NES version of Metroid. What more could you ask for?





4. Super Mario Advance 4 :Super Mario 3 (GBA)




Remember when I said I didn't get Mario? Yeah well that all changed when I played my cousins version of super mario world. That led me to search out every game in the Mario series, because goddammit they are great. So I picked up Super Mario Advance 4, an graphically updated version of Super Mario 3. AND IT BLEW MY FRIGGIN MIND. After the disaster that was Super Mario 2 (doki doki panic bullcrap), Nintendo got back to basics and made an amazing Mario game. Tons of levels, power ups, and the music is fantastic. Some would argue that this is the greatest game ever made, and who can blame them? This game had a movie released just to promote it! When has that ever happened before or after? NEVER



3. Angry Bird (Ipod/Iphone... and getting ported to everything in existence)


I am not someone who dismisses games because of their platform, and Angry Birds is proof of that. This game is friggin amazing, and is probably one of the only games that is so universally loved by all. It's really amazing how many people have been playing this game. People who never play games are raving about Angry Birds right along side us regulars. I mean hell, I had a conversation with a stranger in an elevator about Angry Birds (true story). Do I even have to explain the game to you? Pigs stole your eggs, fling the angry birds at the pigs buildings, have a seizure from pure bliss. This is Angry Birds and its fantastic.



2. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (psp)




Ok, admittedly I am a fan boy of this series. Everything just works so well. Its one of those series where I just sit back and turn everything else in life off. Kingdom Hearts is one of those crazy mixtures that should never work, but does. Birth By Sleep takes place ten years before the original, so for those of you who want to check it out dont be scared. Although you should be aware that even though it is a prequel, there are a lot of story elements that still may be a bit confusing. But you should have no problem following the main story. It follows three main characters, all with that trademark Square Enix look, as they interact with beloved Disney characters. This game has anything from Snow white, to Lilo and Stich, and its a blast. God I love disney...I mean I'm clearly not a Kramer, but I do like me some Disney.

1. RED DEAD REDEMPTION! (PS3/360, and probably pc but whatever lol)



GODDAMMIT THIS GAME IS GOOD. HOLY CRAP. I hate to be like a snobby jerk here, but I played Red Dead Revolver, which is the first game in the series and loved it. However the similarities between the two games are slim to none, aside from the western setting and maybe guns, they are completely different games. Where Revolver was a level based third person shooter, Red Dead Redemption is essentially GTA4 in the west. However thats selling this game too short. It is probably one of the most expansive and fun experiences in a video game, maybe ever. The story is great, the characters are believable despite their ridiculous Rockstar nature, and the gameplay is just as fun as it was in GTA4. Also not spoiling anything here, but the ending? Probably the best ending I've played in awhile. Suck it Assassins Creed.

Not to mention the Online Multiplayer, where you can essentially roam the west with a group of friends and basically tear things up. God it was the best game of 2010 for me, and I honestly have fond memories of it....nerd.




Well anyway, thats my list. Now just so no one freaks out, I dont have a 360, so I didnt get to play Mass Effect 2 (its coming to ps3 though), and that also elminates Limbo, and Super Meat Boy from consideration. However I hope you enjoyed my list. As always, thoughts, comments and suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks for reading, and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment