Tuesday, November 2, 2010

VOTING YEAH!?


Woooo so today is voting day. AWESOME GUYS GET OUT THERE AND VOTE, CHANGE THE WORLD, WOOOO OBAMA, CHANNNGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!! WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE YEAH, SPAM FACEBOOK WITH YOUR OBNOXIOUS, PRETENTIOUS, VOTING ,GUILT TRIPE WOOOOOO .



So today is voting day. I did not vote folks. However before you jump down my throat with your American flags and Change t-shirts, let me explain why. It's not that I'm against voting, and its not that I'm lazy. I think non voters of my age group, seem to get lumped in with the "slacker crowd". However let me make this abundantly clear, we are not the idiotic fools you believe us to be. In fact I consider myself a conscious objector.

I have to get some basic things out of the way here first. First off, I don't hate voters, in fact I think for the most part its awesome that people feel the need to get involved in their country. It is a noble idea. However something needs to be said to what is probably just a vocal minority. VOTING DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON. There I said it, I am prepared for the possible crucifixion now. But its true, just because you vote does not give you free reign to shove your beliefs down my throat.
Also, what may I ask are you voting for? I'm getting the strong feeling that for a lot of young people, voting is merely the hip thing to do nowadays. "I mean cmon bro Obama is hip, its cool now" Are these kids really informed? I doubt it, especially when it comes to local politicians. See to me voting has become non-smokers. Not that I am promoting smoking as something intellectual or cool, but I onced asked a smoker friend of mine, "Why do you smoke?", to which he replied, "Because I hate non- smokers." At the time this seemed utterly ridiculous to me, but I am starting to get it. Don't you see? What these young voters are doing is not helping. By pushing voting into peoples faces, you come off as pretentious and annoying. The fact is you aren't doing any favors to the cause by showing off your voting skillz.


I dunno, I dont want to sound pretentious or judgmental myself, because Ive been there. During the 08 election I latched onto the Obama bandwagon. I thought "Wow this dude is going to finally be the progressive boost the political atmosphere needs." When it turned out that he was more of a moderate politician who plays the fence more than making bold decisions, I was heartbroken. Its just a game to politicians, and we are the play things. The system is corrupt and disenfranchising. But fact is, if I find a politician that I can actually believe in, I will vote. But politics has made me cynical and in a game of choose the lesser evil, I choose to sit out.

All I'm asking is for a little respect. Stop telling me to put out my political cigarette and I wont tell you to put out yours.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154582/debate-2004

1 comment:

  1. Your sooooooooooooooooo rightt!!!!! OMGG!!! I hate voting!

    ReplyDelete